My birthday will be here on the day I post this. I find this to be a great opportunity to check in on my life by asking two great questions:
- What have I done that I am proud of since my previous birthday?
- What am I looking forward to over the next year?
Bear in mind that these are questions that can be asked at any time. It doesn’t have to be a birthday or New Year’s resolution to get introspective.
So, question 1: What have I done that I am proud of since my last birthday?
- I am proud of creating this blog, which allows me to share my experiences, knowledge, and basically anything that brings more enthusiasm into my life and can potentially help others as well.
- I am proud of making the decision to move into my own place here in Yokosuka, Japan, which is more expensive than my previous situation while in a group house, but is blessing me with more independence and, therefore, more empowerment.
- I am proud of my relationship with my lovely girlfriend, Kaori Ogasawara, who helped me to open up my heart again, and become more comfortable with romantic vulnerability. I love you baby!
- I am proud of holding myself down at Hodogaya Junior High School since I started in April, developing connections and fostering positive energy and enthusiasm that I believe brightens up the days of the students and staff members.
- I am proud of myself for building up more and more physical and mental energy by exercising on a consistent basis (~3x/week) since getting a gym membership in September of 2013. Since my last declaration on constructing positive habits (Read my blog on habits here), I have been exercising at least 4 times a week and I feel awesome.
- I am proud of myself for opening up a mutual fund account during winter vacation, which allows me to save for the long-term. This decision was great, especially since I am overseas and cannot invest into my Roth IRA.
- I am proud of myself for the hard work I put into my old school at Kamariya Junior High School and the impression I made on the students and staff members there, allowing my enthusiasm to shine.
- I am proud of my meditative practice, which I have been actively engaging in for about 3-4 times a week for the past 3 months. Since my last declaration (about one month ago), I have been meditating for 10-20 minutes, 5-6 times a week. It is sometimes difficult to stay centered and I can become restless in the process, but I always feel more refreshed and clear after coming out of the meditation.
And question 2: What am I looking forward to over the next year?
- I am really looking forward to my trip to Thailand and potentially Cambodia in August. It will be my first time experiencing both countries and will further expand on my cultural awareness and ability to connect across cultures and language.
- I am really looking forward to visiting Kaori’s hometown in Aomori in July to meet her family and immerse in the beautiful natural surroundings that attracts many people every year.
- I am really looking forward to developing my relationship with Kaori, giving her the best that I possibly can, creating excitement, outrageousness, inspiration, confidence, tenderness, affection, kindness, perseverance, thoughtfulness, giving her my undivided attention, being an example of possibility, and loving her for who she is. She knows more than anybody that I slip and don’t follow through with all of these amazing qualities, right baby? lol But you deserve it and I get to provide it for you as best I can
- I am really looking forward to concentrating more time on my Life Coaching efforts, networking, making mistakes, further honing my craft, and enjoying the process of it all to the best of my ability.
- I am really excited to continue creating content for my website and soaking in more and more knowledge about Internet marketing, different ways to monetize my website, creating passive income streams, and sharing my life.
- I am really looking forward to returning back home to Los Angeles to physically reunite with my family and friends after this wonderful journey in Japan. It’s scary and exciting at the same time because I’m not sure where I will go to/live next. Vancouver? New York? How will this all work out? I don’t know, but it will
- I am really looking forward to the rest of my year at Hodogaya Junior High School, delivering my best every time to the students (our future), and showing everyone my life’s purpose through my actions.
- I am really looking forward to strengthening the connections I’ve made here in Japan and all the new faces that I will be connecting with.
This was a very enriching and enjoyable exercise that allowed me to relive proud moments and step into proud moments of my future. I love questions, but even more, I love asking questions.
So, my birthday message to you:
What have you done that you’re proud of over this past year (roughly June 2013 – Now?)
What are you looking forward to over this next year?
Please let me know your thoughts. Don’t be shy